March 29, 2020 @ 1:00PM — 4:00PM
Help us plant more trees and reforest Buncombe County
If needed, April 5th will be the rain date.
Join Asheville GreenWorks for our Spring Tree Giveaway. We will be giving away American Beech, Flowering Dogwood, Black Gum, Pawpaw, Shumard Oak, Pignut Hickory, Eastern Red Cedar, Black Willow, River Birch, Virginia Pine, Sweetbay Magnolia, White Oak, Sycamore, Red Maple to Buncombe County Residents. *Two trees per household.* Please bring along either a valid ID or a recent bill for address verification. You will select your tree species upon arrival and after your training, you can take it home to plant!
To receive your free trees, you will need to go through a short on-site training on how to plant and take care of your tree. This training is provided by certified arborists and is required for all attendees.
We're gathering your contact information to verify that you are a Buncombe County resident and so that we can check in with you in 6 months to see how your tree is growing and to answer any questions.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
1. Why is Asheville GreenWorks doing this giveaway? Trees are being lost and cut down in Buncombe County at an alarming rate. The City of Asheville's Urban Tree Canopy Study showed a loss of almost 900 acres in the past decade. This giveaway serves as an educational outreach opportunity, as well as an effort to reforest our urban canopy. Additionally, this is a great opportunity to spread awareness to the community of GreenWorks' Urban Forestry Program and Native Tree Nursery. The grant from Duke Energy allows us to do this for FREE, but donations are greatly accepted to further grow our programming.
2. Can more than one person from my household register for a tree? Sorry, no. There is a 2 tree per household limit, which will be verified by address.
3. I live outside of Buncombe County, can I register? Sorry, no. This giveaway is funded by a grant which is meant for Buncombe County residents only.
4. If I register, do I get to pick my tree ahead of time? Registration does not guarantee a tree. This event is first come, first serve and you will select your tree species upon check-in, day of.
5. I received a tree at the Fall Giveaway, can I get another? Yes, you can register for and receive another tree.
6. I have tree knowledge and experience, or I will be in a rush, am I required to complete the planting and care trainings? If you attended a previous giveaway and we have proof of your participation, you do not need to go through the training again (but are welcome to if you'd like a refresher). All other participants will be required to complete the training in order to receive a tree.
7. I'd like more than 2 trees, can I purchase more? Sorry, no. There will not be trees available for sale.
8. Where is this event taking place? The giveaway is held at the Asheville GreenWorks Sandhill Nursery at the Buncombe County Sports Park. You will have a chance to learn more about our Community Orchard and Native Tree Nursery while you enjoy the giveaway!
9. What will parking be like? There will be parking in a lot, in paved spots at the entrance, and on the nearest soccer field. Parking attendants will be available to help. You will be required to carry your tree to your car however volunteers can assist as needed. There will be handicap spaces available for those who need them.
10. How big are these trees? Some trees are 6+ft tall, but weigh no more than 15-20 pounds. They will come in plastic pots, which can be returned or recycled, and you may wish to line your car with cardboard or newspaper in case of soil spillage.
This giveaway made possible by Duke Energy and Buncombe County.