October 13, 2019 @ 1:00PM — 4:00PM
Take home a native tree for your home!
Join Asheville GreenWorks and Duke Energy for our Fall Asheville Tree Giveaway. We will be giving away Oaks, Sycamores, Red Maples, Black gums, River Birches, Persimmons, Hickorys, or Sourwoods to Buncombe County Residents. *One tree per household.* Please bring along either a valid ID or a recent bill for address verification. You will select your tree species upon arrival and after your training you can take it home to plant!
*If you are interested in volunteering for this event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Why is Asheville GreenWorks and Duke Energy doing this giveaway? Trees are being lost and cut down in Buncombe County at an alarming rate. This giveaway serves as an educational outreach opportunity, as well as an effort to reforest our urban canopy. Additionally, this is a great opportunity to spread awareness to the community of GreenWorks' Urban Forestry Program and Native Tree Nursery. The grant from Duke Energy allows us to do this for FREE, but donations are greatly accepted to further grow our programming.
2. Can more than one person from my household register for a tree? Sorry, no. There is a 1 tree per household limit, which will be verified by address.
3. I live outside of Buncombe County, can I register? Sorry, no. This giveaway is funded by a grant which is meant for Buncombe County residents only.
4. If I register, do I get to pick my tree ahead of time? Registration does not guarantee a tree. This event is first come, first serve and you will select your tree species upon check-in, day of.
5. I received a tree at the Spring Giveaway, can I get another? Yes, you can register for and receive another tree.
6. I have tree knowledge and experience, or I will be in a rush, am I required to complete the planting and care trainings? If you attended the Spring Giveaway and we have proof of your participation, you do not need to go through the training again (but are welcome to if you'd like a refresher). All other participants will be required to complete the training in order to receive a tree.
7. I'd like more than 1 tree, can I purchase more? Sorry, no. There will not be trees available for sale.
8. Where is this event taking place? The fall giveaway is held at the Asheville GreenWorks Sandhill Nursery at the Buncombe County Sports Park. You will have a chance to learn more about our Community Orchard and Native Tree Nursery while you enjoy the giveaway!
9. What will parking be like? There will be parking in a lot, in paved spots at the entrance, and on the nearest soccer field. Parking attendants will be available to help. You will be required to carry your tree to your car. There will be handicap spaces available for those who need them.
10. How big are these trees? Some trees are 6+ft tall, but weigh no more than 15 pounds. The will come in plastic pots and you may wish to line your car with cardboard or newspaper in case of soil spillage.
This giveaway made possible by Duke Energy.